• Home
  • >
  • Sports
  • >
  • A Tale of Two Chester Co. Overtimes – CCHS Girls Soccer clinches victory in PKs; Eagles Football robbed of game in overtime

A Tale of Two Chester Co. Overtimes – CCHS Girls Soccer clinches victory in PKs; Eagles Football robbed of game in overtime

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email

Chester County had two major district games last week that dragged out into overtime. Both games were critical in seeding. One went in favor of the Eagles, but the other did not.
The CCHS Lady Eagles Soccer team had extended play against McNairy last Thursday. Senior Lady Eagle Daisy McManus quickly scored a goal for her team within the first three minutes of the game. Chester County held McNairy off the scoreboard until there was 17:40 left in the second half. Then regulation ended with the game tied at one.
The teams then played two 10-minute halves. The Bobcats were first to score in overtime, but McManus found the net again with 7:23 left in overtime to tie the game again at two sending it into PKs.
In PKs, Hanna Cherry, Brooke Thomas, and Alyssa Lyons were all able to score, while the Bobcats were only able to score one of two of theirs with the thanks of a good block by Camryn Pickett to win the game 3-2.
Now, the team sits in good position to win and host the district.

PIctured first is Brooke Thomas as she scores a PK. Next pictured is Camryn Pickett block McNairy’s PK.

The Eagles Football team followed up the girls soccer team and went into overtime on Friday against South Gibson. Though the final score showed they lost, they were ripped of a victory by the referees in overtime.
During regulation, the game was a low scoring affair with the game being tied at 7 at the end of the fourth quarter. The South Gibson Hornets were the first to score early in the second quarter.
Dean Estes saved the game for the Eagles with a block punt that was recovered between South Gibson’s 10-yard line with around 10 minutes left. Peyton Barham and the Eagles’ offense took advantage of the great field position as he ran the ball in for an Eagles’ touchdown to tie the game and give Chester County hope on the field and in the stands.
Going into overtime with Chester County getting the first possession, Barham scored on a running play. The Hornets responded and scored as well to tie it at 14 after scoring an extra point that barely went in after the Eagles tipped it in the backfield.
In the second OT, the hornets scored with the Eagles responding with a connection between Evan Schippers and Chad Barham for a touchdown.
C. Barham was found in the endzone again in the third OT. Then there was the bad call that changed the game. South Gibson was on fourth down with eight yards to go, and they passed it into the endzone for a last shot attempt and their receiver dropped the ball, but the referees called it a complete pass. Film shows that the receiver did not have possession of the ball. If the correct call was made, the Eagles would have come back home with a victory.
Instead, the two teams went into a fourth OT and the Hornets were able to score on their possession leaving the Eagles to find a way to score on theirs, but they were not successful at doing so ending the game in a 35-28 loss for the Eagles.

Pictured at the top is Chad Barham as he catches a touchdown pass in overtime. Next pictured is Cooper Bates and Dean Estes celebrating following Estes’ blocked punt.

Story and Photos by:
Sports Editor Kendall Patterson

Related Posts

The Chester County Independent is a weekly newspaper, published on Thursdays, serving Chester County, Tennessee.

© Copyright 2024 

chestercountyindependent.com, 218 S Church Ave Henderson, TN